Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mother of All Gauge Swatches

With a deadline looming-- four hats to finish by Monday-- the last thing a prudent knitter would do is start a 6-color Fair Isle tam in fingering weight yarn. But since I abandoned all prudence with regard to knitting long ago, I could not resist:


I dare only show you a small detail-- the swatch in its full glory is terrible to behold.

If you tally up the hours that I have invested in this swatch, you will understand why I have not finished a single hat this month. The color scheme has undergone numerous changes-- last-minute color substitutions were mail-ordered. This is the big one.

Just thinking about the number of ends I will need to weave in is beginning to give me a slight twitch. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

  1. Good luck! On the plus side, it looks stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...looks like it's going to be gorgeous! But oh so time consuming...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! And hey, there are still a few days of July left

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck! (I think you might need it... looks gorgeous though)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! It's going to be fantastic. I really like your colour choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, good luck. I;ve never worked out how to change colours yet and keep the tension right so well done,. I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those colors are beautiful. So many lovely shades of blue. You are definitely not a faint of heart knitter! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes! That has to be one of the most beautiful swatches I've ever seen! I can't wait for the actual project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really beautiful. Much better to make one super duper amazing hat than 4 hats you aren't that excited about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks like it will be worth all the trouble! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete