Friday, March 11, 2011

Chroma Stocking Cap

Today is a big day for me and my blog. This is my 50th post! And today, I released my first pattern for test knitting! This has me very excited... and nervous. I'm pretty comfortable designing hats, but pattern writing is a whole 'nother ballgame. Anyway, it's about time I shared the prototype in all its glory... without further ado, I give you hat 11*:

The perfect thing for a dreary March day in Maine

Making stripes with two colors of self-striping yarn is not a particularly original concept-- I believe everyone and their mother has seen (or made) the Noro Scarf. I always loved the look, but not being much of a knitted-scarf wearer, I thought I would try to turn it into a hat. My first attempt was a success, but it only whet my appetite for MORE STRIPES! Thus was born my first ever pattern.


My design process was pretty simple... as I mentioned before, writing up the pattern has been a struggle. They don't teach these things in Knitting School, and having twelve years of knitting experience doesn't really help. Hence the test knitting-- and thanks to my readers and knitting friends who suggested it! I'm hoping to get useful feedback that I can incorporate into the pattern before I officially release it. I'm still looking for more testers, so if you're interested, check out this thread on Ravelry's awesome Free Pattern Testers discussion board. I'd love to have you!

*Gah! I really need to catch up on these posts!

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, I don't think I can make your test-knitting deadline of the 31st but I am nuts about that hat. It's cheerful without being too cutesy. Would absolutely love to use the pattern whenever you release it. :)

    Gorgeous pictures, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hat!!! It would look perfect with a Noro Striped scarf! LOL I wish I could test knit, but probably wouldn't be able to finish in the deadline. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've achieved a hat that's fun without being too silly for grown-ups to wear. I have heard that people learn a lot about pattern writing from test knitting feedback when they're starting out - good for you taking the time to make sure things are in very clear shape before releasing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your 50th post and your pattern! The hat is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I can't wait until it's available. First I thought, who do I know who could use a striped Noro stocking hat, and then thought, is there anyone I know who *couldn't* use a Noro striped stocking cap?!
    P.S. happy 50th post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should go on tour a sell these to the dreadies who STAY on tour in the winter months. They would be gone before you could say "fattie".

    ReplyDelete