Friday, May 6, 2011

Snowflake Swap Hat

Let it not be said that foolhardy year-long knitting projects are entirely without compensation. Yesterday, I exchanged this:


for these:


Knitters, I believe, rarely receive hand-knitted gifts, which is particularly sad because we are perhaps uniquely able to appreciate them. I think a swap is the perfect way to address this (admittedly minor) injustice-- and Mary Lou agrees.

Project Notes

Yarn: Berroco Comfort DK. 100% wool makes Mary Lou itch-- and as I was unable to find a blend in a suitable color, it had to be acrylic... not that there's anything wrong with that! I'm all for choosing the right yarn for the project at hand, and after working with it, I don't feel this yarn was a bad compromise. I only hope it's warm enough...

Pattern: Improvised, using various source materials-- the coworker whose hat I photocopied gave my knockoff the thumbs up!

Techniques: See Wednesday's post for a tutorial (my first!) on hemmed hats.

The Bottom Line: It may be better to give than to receive... nah, receiving is awesome. Sock knitting is something I've resisted-- thus far-- so maybe I can continue to postpone the inevitable by arranging more hat-for-socks swaps... any takers?

3 comments:

  1. The hat is beautiful and you got a great trade! I'm so jealous you work with people who knit and want to trade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, before i forget, be sure next Mister Linky, you change your link. It keeps going back to your April 1st link and I've been changing it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete