Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Koolhaas

I've just woken up all tingly and excited-- you know when you can just tell it's going to be a good day? Usually days that start at 3:30PM are not accompanied by such feelings of pleasant anticipation. I think I can identify a few reasons:
  • After two weeks of dreary, wet, terrible weather, the sun has come out at last.
  • It's Duckfat night.
  • Today marks the halfway point of 52 hats... and I'm mere inches away from finishing hat 26!
Before I get too pleased with myself, let me not forget that this project also involves blogging... or at least it did at some point. There are some good reasons and some half-assed reasons for this, but rather than make excuses and risk ruining my good mood (which I have now enhanced by putting on my favorite red shoes), I'm just going to get on with it.

So, hat 23! Definitely on of my favorites so far, and I made it for one of my favorite people. My husband wants it too, for obvious reasons:

Sorry, dear. Your new camera is awesome, though. Damn.


Project Notes

Yarn: Manos Del Uruguay Silk Blend. My husband gravitates to this yarn-- pretty good taste, eh?* Anyway, this yarn is magic, and one skein is exactly enough to make a ladies' size beanie.

Pattern: Koolhaas by Jared Flood. It comes as no surprise that this is a popular project on Ravelry-- and that's kind of great, because I was able to find advice on substituting a different weight yarn within seconds. Who needs math?

Techniques: I'd like to think I improved upon this pattern the tiniest bit by maintaining the twisted stitches while decreasing... but I do enjoy that sort of thing.

The Bottom Line: Except for the rows where every stitch switches position with its neighbor, I loved knitting this-- and the result is worth it. Now if I can only manage to prevent my husband stealing it-- though perhaps I could barter it for the disposal of the exquisitely unsanitary baseball cap he wears to play tennis...

Now it's off to finish hat 26-- wish me luck!



*He usually manages to pick out the $30/skein hand-dyed without any prompting whatsoever-- a
nd then he always looks so sad when he finds out how many skeins a sweater would require.

No comments:

Post a Comment