Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stitch Reassignment Surgery

Did you ever wonder what would happen if you combined a Bollywood movie, double knitting, and blithe ignorance of purl decreases? Well then, lucky for you that I found out:

These are not the decreases you are looking for...

In double knitting, what seems like the right thing to do is usually just the opposite-- and thus the decreases on the reverse side of my hat do not match the ones on the outside. Fortunately, Hero: The Love Story of a Spy* proved so distracting that I only completed three decrease rows before I noticed the error.

*Featuring the world's most glamorous shepherdess. And explosions.

Sometimes a crochet hook is a knitter's best friend:


All the offending P2togs are ripped out:

Unless you have a well-developed sense of adventure, I wouldn't recommend trying this with cotton...

And now they are nice, well-behaved left-leaning decreases:

Now and forever, I shall remember to SSP

Moral of the story: bring a simpler project to Knitting Night... or perhaps find less entertaining knitting companions.

9 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by your mad fix-it skillz! And brave you for bringing a double knit project t Knitting Night. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to double knit and breathe at the same time, but I'm totally looking forward to seeing y our results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started a dk project, too!
    Great fix... it's going to turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every knitter needs a project to entertain and a project to knit when entertaining is going on. The two projects should never meet, or disaster could strike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOA, I am IMPRESSED! I can't believe you were able to fix that so perfectly without ripping out the rows. I can't wait to see this when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would think the most glamorous shepherdess in the world would be enough for a great movie, but this one has explosions, too. No wonder you were distracted from your knitting, who wouldn't be? Thank heaven for crochet hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a fix par excellence (add french accent here). Wish you could have taken a video clip and posted it on YouTube. It would have been almost as exciting as shepherdesses and explosions! Gray and orange is such a great color combo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That gave me nightmares of my Christmas hat hell. Good for you on fixing it. I wept and cheered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - you are so brave to rip those stitches out like that! I'd be a chicken and end up backing all three rows out. Very impressive skills! Bollywood movies are so much fun, it easy to be distrated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @CraftyCripple: you have given me the perfect excuse to cast on a nice, simple shawl.

    @Denise: I may end up with PTSD from this hat-- I feel your pain now!

    And thanks everyone for reading!!

    ReplyDelete